Saturday, March 13, 2010

"The Shadow" pages 1-2

This is part of a story that I created back in grade 12. I'll post the first chapter in parts so that it's easier to read through, but the other chapters need to be completely re-worked; you'll be left with a cliffhanger, which was actually all the story was intended to be at first ;)




A smile rose to my lips as I watched the autmn leaves dance across the deserted street. Soon it faded, upon the realization that I still didn't know where I was. Things just dindn't seem right about the place. Ancient Victorian houses loomed above me from both sides of the cold road, and an eeire silence hung menacingly in the air. Everything seemed to be tinted with a strange grey hue, like the saturation had been med. It dulled all of my surroundings. Coulour still lingered beneath the surface, yet seemed to be... masked, in a way.


A burst of frigid wind suddenly thrust the strands of my long, brown hair in front of my face. I pushed it away from my dark eyes, and slowly took a few steps forward.


As I cautiously made my way down the road, I became more and more aware of the silence. Nothing was there, but it seemed as though everything was waiting with baited breat. Just waiting; anticpating some great event to occur. I stopped in my tracks, and paused to listen. Still nothing.


For a long time, the silence stretched on. I stood alone in the middle of the street, and cast my sharp gaze around the unfamiliar setting. Then I heard it: a faint whisper, rising with the wind.


"Eva..." it called, "Eva..."


The voice was barely a sound. Upon glancing around, I still saw no on one.


I boldly raised my voice, "Who's there? Who's calling me?"


Though I had responded with confidence, I could feel my heart gaining speed, beating rapidly. Something about that voice... it made me feel on edge, and nervous.


For a moment, there was nothing again. Only the silence... but that was broken in the next instant.


"Eva," the chilling voice rang out, "Eva..."


"What?!" I cried out in distress.


The voice grew louder, came close, "Eva... Eva..."


This time the voice was closer than ever. I glanced around anxiously, expecting to see someone, but there wasn't a soul in sight. Everything was hushed again; not a single noise could be heard anywhere.


I shifted uncomfortably, more conscious now than ever that something was about to happen; something undoubtedly out of the ordinary.


The absolute quiet was unbearable. It seemed to drag on forever, but then...

An excruciatingly loud noise seemed to explode out of time. A dark shadow shot across the ground, sped underneath my feet, and skidded down to the end of the street, just a short distance from where I stood.


I watched in horror as the shadow, blacker than anything around it, proceeded to slither out of the ground, like a thing melting in reverse. It began to take shape, and a cloaked figure formed from the shadow. It seemed solid, real--yet, in the same way: unreal, still shadow--wispy edges and dark colour. I stared in wonderment and terror, awed by its powerful and dreadful presence.


The thing then outstretched its skeletal hand toward me, and slowly beckoned me to come.


(Stacy)

No comments:

Post a Comment